Want to do more to help reduce your water consumption? Well you’ve come to the right place! Here are some easy tips for you and your apartment-mates to integrate into your household habits.
- No dishwasher? No problem! Instead of leaving your tap running while washing each dish one at a time, plug up both sinks and fill them with water instead – one soapy, on for rinsing.
- Same goes for rinsing veggies as with dishes: fill up a bowl of water to wash your veggies in instead of wasting a bunch of it when you keep the tap running.
- There’s nothing wrong with laziness when it comes to your dishes. Use less dishes so you don’t have to wash as many. Win.
- You wouldn’t really think of it but turn of the tap when brushing teeth, shaving, washing your face and hands, etc. uses a LOT of water. Shut it off next time.
- Down for being smelly? Take less showers. That’ll make you new friends real fast.
- If the above isn’t really your style, try taking shorter showers.
- Shower with a buddy also can save a substantial amount of water. Just don’t stay in there too long. 😉
- Okay, super easy to do. Go outside, grab a giant rock, and put it in the tank of your toilet. If one of those aren’t within reach, fill up a milk container with something heavy, like sand. Placing objects in your toilet’s tank displaces water, thus reducing the amount used per flush.
- You can also take a great initiative by testing for leaks. You can do this by putting some dye in the tank; if it colors the water in the bowl, you’ve got a problem – call fixit!
- This one’s for the less squeamish. Flush less frequently if your apartment buddies don’t mind it. Might want to reconsider this rule for #2 though.
- When hauling down your stuff to the laundry room from 4 flights up, make sure it’s worth it. Wash your clothes only when you have a full load. The Ohlone Tiger Beetle will thank you for it.
- Laziness again! Sweet. Reduce the frequency of your loads of laundry will save some serious H two Oh. You can wear those jeans one more time.
- If you have only a few things that need to be washed, toss your things in with a friend’s laundry. You can pay him back… eventually.
- Wash your clothes in cold water. Simple as pushing a button.